Chapman Hall sits on the Memorial Quad on the University of Oregon grounds. This places it near to restaurants and cafes on 13th avenue. It also sits in one of the oldest parts of the university’s grounds.
Activities in the Area
13th Avenue is a short walk from Chapman Hall. It has many restaurants, cafes and stores. Local favorites are:
Cafe Roma for coffee and pastries.
Taylor’s for hamburgers and beer.
The Duck Store for all your University of Oregon swag.
The memorial quad also has important landmarks on it. The Jordan Schnitzer Art Museum has a world class collection and changing exhibits. The Knight Library offers a quite space. Memorials for students and graduating classes.
Chapman Hall History
Chapman Hall was completed in 1939. It sits where the university’s first sports field was located. The sports field was removed in 1921 to make way for the Memorial Quad.
The building originally housed the Department of Home Economics and the university book store. In 1961 the Honors College moved into the building. The Honors College has been in Chapman Hall ever since. The bookstore moved to its current space a block west in 1966.
Chapman Hall Style
Chapman Hall is made in a Mediterranean style by Ellis F. Lawrence. It uses bricks and terra cotta tiles laid in geometric forms on its wide facade. It also has large arched windows and doors.
The Mediterranean style was popular in the 1920s and 1930s in the United States. This style was made from many other styles such as Renaissance and Beaux-Arts architecture. Ellis F. Lawrence used this style in the many buildings he designed on the Memorial Quad.
This can be seen in Chapman Hall’s sister buildings at the north end of the quad. The style was also used for the Jordan Schnitzer Art Museum and the library. Chapman Hall was the last building Lawrence designed for the Memorial Quad.
Villard Hall was the second building opened on the University of Oregon grounds. It opened in 1886. In 1949, the University Theater addition was made to Villard Hall. The hall became the home for the Theater Department.
Villard Hall was made in the Second Empire style that was common at the time. This architectural style developed during the Second French Empire. It lasted as an important style through the late 1800s.
Today Villard Hall is on a quite edge of the University of Oregon grounds. Theater pupils practice on the grass outside. The rest of the building is surrounded by trees.
The Beatty Biodiversity Museum is on the grounds of the University of British Columbia. The museum houses the university’s collection of biological samples. This ranges from pressed plants to fossils.
Their most striking sample is the blue whale skeleton in the lobby though. The skeleton is 85 feet (26 meters) long. The whale died of natural causes and washed up on the shore of Prince Edward Island in 1987.
The new Student Union Building on the University of British Columbia grounds opened in 2015. It was built to give more room for student events. The old student union building did not have enough room for the current students.
Taking a break from COVID-19 Walking Views, this week’s image shows the main mall at the University of British Columbia (UBC). The mall is lined with Red Oaks and has a view of the northern end of the Cascade Mountains.
Many TV shows have been produced on the main mall. Some famous shows produced on the main mall are Battlestar Galactica, Smallville and The Man in the High Castle.
The main mall hosts many important buildings. The primary public buildings and gardens on the main mall are:
The Beatty Biodiversity Museum,
Pacific Museum of the Earth,
Museum of Anthropology,
and the UBC Rose Garden.
The university’s main library and many colleges also sit on the mall.
Painted this view of the Oregon State Capitol Building on a cloudy day. The weather this summer has been cooler than normal. This has caused summer to look like fall.
The Oregon State Capitol Building is made in an art deco style. Most state capitols copy the United States Capitol Building in Washington, DC. The Oregon State Capitol Building was completed in 1938 though and shows the design customs of the time.
The weather is nice and perfect for watercolors. This week’s image is of the Valley Library at Oregon State University. The building is named for F. Wayne Valley who gave the money for the building. The Valley Library opened in 1999.