Villard Hall was the second building opened on the University of Oregon grounds. It opened in 1886. In 1949, the University Theater addition was made to Villard Hall. The hall became the home for the Theater Department.
Villard Hall was made in the Second Empire style that was common at the time. This architectural style developed during the Second French Empire. It lasted as an important style through the late 1800s.
Today Villard Hall is on a quite edge of the University of Oregon grounds. Theater pupils practice on the grass outside. The rest of the building is surrounded by trees.