Gas Works Park sits on the north end of Lake Union in Seattle, Washington. The park is famous for the ruins of the gas works that used to operate on the site. Gas Works Park is also a good location to park and go walking or biking.
Activities in and near Gas Works Park
Gas Work’s Park is in the middle of Seattle. This makes it a good place to see several Seattle’s sights and neighborhoods.
- Kite Hill
- Kite Hill is on the park’s west side. This human made hill was created from construction debris and covered with soil.
- You can see kits flying from the hill throughout the year on winds from Lake Union. The hill is also a good place to watch boats and sea planes on Lake Union.
- Wallingford Business Area
- Take the stairs across the street from the park and walk up Wallingford Avenue to the Wallingford Business District. The Wallingford Business district is filled with restaurants, cafes and stores.
- This is a 1.4 mile (2.2 km) walk round trip from Gas Works Park.
- Fremont Troll
- Under the bridge to the west of Gas Work’s Park you will find the Fremont Troll. This is a good place to take a photo.
- This is a 1.6 mile (2.5 km) walk round trip from Gas Works Park.
- Burke-Gilman Trail
- The Burke-Gilman Trail is a 20-mile bike and pedestrian trail that runs from Seattle’s western edge in Ballard to Blyth Park in the City of Bothell. Gas Works Park is 2.2 miles (3.5 km) from the trail’s western end. The park is a good place to park when biking on the trail.
- Cheshiahud Lake Union Loop
- The Cheshiahud Lake Union Loop is a 6.2 (10 km) trail round Lake Union. Gas Works Park is on the northern part of the loop. The trail is a good way to see houseboats, downtown and other historic sites.
History of Gas Works Park
Gas Works Park opened in 1975. The park is famous as the first park in the United States of America that kept an industrial ruin. Before this industrial sites where removed, and parks built over them.
The design company for the Park, Richard Haag and Associates, learned that the gas plant on the site was the last one in the United States of America. They suggested that the old gas plant be kept as part of the park. After some resistance, the city approved the plan.
Style of Gas Works Park
Gas Work’s Park is special because it was one of the first parks in the world to use industrial architecture outside of an industrial site. This began a new architecture style that made industrial architecture common in ever day use.