Ladd’s Addition is a neighborhood on Portland’s Eastside. The neighborhood is surrounded by roads with restaurants and cafes. The neighborhood is also the home of a rose garden test site and interesting architecture.
Ladd’s Addition Activities
Ladd’s Addition has many attractions. Its plan uses a diagonal design that makes for interesting walks. The neighborhood also has 4 rose gardens in the neighborhood. These gardens are part of Portland’s rose test gardens.
Hawthorne Boulevard is on the northern edge of the neighborhood and Division Street on the southern edge. Both streets have lots of restaurants, cafes and stores.
Interesting places to see on Hawthorne and Division are:
Food truck lot at Hawthorne Blvd. and 12th Ave.
Cinemagic at Hawthorne Blvd. and 20th Ave.
New Seasons Market at Division St. and 20th Ave.
Speilman Bagels and Coffee Roasters at Division and 21st Ave.
Palio Desert and Espresso on the Ladd Circle round about at the center of Ladd’s Addition
History of Ladd’s Addition
Ladd’s Addition is named for William S. Ladd. He subdivided the land for Ladd’s Addition in 1891. Most houses in the neighborhood are from 1905 forward.
The houses are designed in a variety of designs. The design types include Craftsman, Bungalow, Tudor and others. This makes the neighborhood a great place to see many different architectural types.
Design of Ladd’s Addition
William S. Ladd gave Ladd’s Addition a diagonal plan. This is very different from the rest of Portland, which uses rectangle based plan. Ladd choose this plan because he L’Enfant’s use of diagonal roads in the plan for Washington DC.
L’Enfant was a Frenchman who came to the United States to fight in the revolutionary war. After the war he became a designer and was hired to layout Washington D.C. His plan was based on European cities and French Formal Gardens.
French Formal Gardens became popular in the 1600s and 1700s in France. They used geometric plans to show order and reason. The most famous french formal garden is the Gardens of Versailles.
Chapman Hall sits on the Memorial Quad on the University of Oregon grounds. This places it near to restaurants and cafes on 13th avenue. It also sits in one of the oldest parts of the university’s grounds.
Activities in the Area
13th Avenue is a short walk from Chapman Hall. It has many restaurants, cafes and stores. Local favorites are:
Cafe Roma for coffee and pastries.
Taylor’s for hamburgers and beer.
The Duck Store for all your University of Oregon swag.
The memorial quad also has important landmarks on it. The Jordan Schnitzer Art Museum has a world class collection and changing exhibits. The Knight Library offers a quite space. Memorials for students and graduating classes.
Chapman Hall History
Chapman Hall was completed in 1939. It sits where the university’s first sports field was located. The sports field was removed in 1921 to make way for the Memorial Quad.
The building originally housed the Department of Home Economics and the university book store. In 1961 the Honors College moved into the building. The Honors College has been in Chapman Hall ever since. The bookstore moved to its current space a block west in 1966.
Chapman Hall Style
Chapman Hall is made in a Mediterranean style by Ellis F. Lawrence. It uses bricks and terra cotta tiles laid in geometric forms on its wide facade. It also has large arched windows and doors.
The Mediterranean style was popular in the 1920s and 1930s in the United States. This style was made from many other styles such as Renaissance and Beaux-Arts architecture. Ellis F. Lawrence used this style in the many buildings he designed on the Memorial Quad.
This can be seen in Chapman Hall’s sister buildings at the north end of the quad. The style was also used for the Jordan Schnitzer Art Museum and the library. Chapman Hall was the last building Lawrence designed for the Memorial Quad.
Villard Hall was the second building opened on the University of Oregon grounds. It opened in 1886. In 1949, the University Theater addition was made to Villard Hall. The hall became the home for the Theater Department.
Villard Hall was made in the Second Empire style that was common at the time. This architectural style developed during the Second French Empire. It lasted as an important style through the late 1800s.
Today Villard Hall is on a quite edge of the University of Oregon grounds. Theater pupils practice on the grass outside. The rest of the building is surrounded by trees.
The Beatty Biodiversity Museum is on the grounds of the University of British Columbia. The museum houses the university’s collection of biological samples. This ranges from pressed plants to fossils.
Their most striking sample is the blue whale skeleton in the lobby though. The skeleton is 85 feet (26 meters) long. The whale died of natural causes and washed up on the shore of Prince Edward Island in 1987.
The new Student Union Building on the University of British Columbia grounds opened in 2015. It was built to give more room for student events. The old student union building did not have enough room for the current students.
Taking a break from COVID-19 Walking Views, this week’s image shows the main mall at the University of British Columbia (UBC). The mall is lined with Red Oaks and has a view of the northern end of the Cascade Mountains.
Many TV shows have been produced on the main mall. Some famous shows produced on the main mall are Battlestar Galactica, Smallville and The Man in the High Castle.
The main mall hosts many important buildings. The primary public buildings and gardens on the main mall are:
The Beatty Biodiversity Museum,
Pacific Museum of the Earth,
Museum of Anthropology,
and the UBC Rose Garden.
The university’s main library and many colleges also sit on the mall.
Painted this view of the Oregon State Capitol Building on a cloudy day. The weather this summer has been cooler than normal. This has caused summer to look like fall.
The Oregon State Capitol Building is made in an art deco style. Most state capitols copy the United States Capitol Building in Washington, DC. The Oregon State Capitol Building was completed in 1938 though and shows the design customs of the time.